Friday, April 06, 2007

I am Baaaaack


Hey all just got back from a nice vacation backcountry hiking in the Great Smoky Mountains. Didn't get to see any bear, but it was beautiful with some spectacular views. Makin' Debt and I are still sore from the 3 mile non-stop 2,700 elevation gain we did in one day.

Yup it is true I was on Test Server (closed) with quite a few other Triumph toons.

As you all have probably found out by now, the salvage system is gonna be expensive everything costs big bucks. There was a lot of growing pains to get it where it is now and I am not at all happy with the concepts that were proposed and how it has come to be at this stage. Since I have been gone for five days I am sure the promised patch to fix some of our complaints has dropped, but it left the system well, still sucking for many. And well the concept of it being "something you can skip if you don't like it" well I was seeing loop holes with that...but not sure if that will be fixed by the patch will have to log on today to see. Another issue I have is making a huge system for issue 9 and selling it as something you can skip...hey thanks for offering me something that I don't want to do...nice to wait for that. As you can see, in the end after a few weeks with this invention system, I am not fond of it, much of it to do with how the Devs went with it and forced it into the game despite a LOT of objections and complaints by the testers. I am officially not a fan of Statesman--he pissed off a lot of people with his tone, attitude and approach with this system change. His spin on this? You can make a new kind of toon.. an INVENTOR! Once you do so many recipes you get badges that open you up to all recipes for certain levels etc. So then you can have a crafting toon! Thats right you can stand around all day while people tell you Hey make this! Hey can you make that? (Read: a cheap attempt to say there can be a new archtype--read CHEAP). Ya this is his take on WoW in City of Heroes/Villians. Hell he mentioned WoW many times in his posts. He even equated the system to Ebay. City of Ebay is not what I wanted. Many, MANY, testers had objections to how this system has turned out and how much influence you have to drop now (the very first version was by far the best...Positron took it away in 2 days and we never saw it back, despite about a 75% objection rate). In the end the attitude that Statesman took was "Hey my game, my rules, deal with it." I almost debated dumping my account from his 'tude. I was that pissed. One thing kept me coming back...new game content i.e. STF. Make that two things...game content and having fun with the DB and coalition buddies. I missed having the whole crew there and not being able to talk about it. But Triumph server had a HUGE showing on test. Seemed about a 1 in 5 was from Triumph. Might have just been my luck of the draw though.

STF is a RIOT. Tried it numerous times and have yet to get past Dr Aeon. Every team I had was short of tanks and apparently there is a temp power you get for doing the Thorn Tree mish and no one was too aware of it or would drop from the TF by the time we hit the mish. I ran it once (with Metoid in tow) and had Ghostwidow "ghosting" it (watching it while we suffered). She actually rezzed Metoid at one point to help us out. It was fun. What they did to mess up the game with inventions, they did the complete opposite with STF. I wish they had invested more into new content such as this STF. It will be quite the reward for high level toons.

Hami? I gave up. It is a whole new ball game and except for the die-hard Hami addicts, we all stopped trying. Too hard ( he was later tweaked), too long, issues with the new inspriations to help defeat him (the drop rate for them was as borked as the drop rate for salvage at lvl 50---imbalanced and a pain to get) and the reward isn't quite worth it now with invention junk easier to craft. I will let the Hami-holics come with a new game plan and then maybe go waste time there. Hami is quite pointless now with inventions. He may drop something rare but then once you get it it? Then what?

New emotes to try are crouch, fish, wait, and a cell phone, they are in menu of emotes near chat bar under options I think. (Pic is of Baba in Wentworth's watching all the sucking of influence for a stupid common salvage).

I didn't do much on Villians side, my high level CoV toons are on my second account so not much testing done by me on the dark side.

Az, wish you could have been on closed testing, you would have had some sound input with you experience. For that matter all of the Debt Brigade could have. But at least we got to represent. Well see you online soon.

4 comments:

Chaud Woman said...

I agree Baba, Az should have had my slot. I just got so frustrated with the lack of useable salvage/recipes and the cost of things. Plus, seemed every bug I reported (and there were a lot) was ignored or met with little response. Yes, I enjoyed the system the first few days too. This is not comparible to WoW, first off I can see how much people want for things on WoW there is no guessing, just pay the "buy it now" price and it's yours...none of this blind buying. As for the list of the last five sold, it's no guide prices range from 500-1000000, crazy. I don't want an invention toon, I have better things to do with my time. While the lure of inventing might bring in some players I think when they see the cost/hassle I don't think they will stay. The hard core people stay because they like the simple concepts of the game and because they have awesome friends here...not because they want the most uber crafted toons ever.

Oh and BIG KUDOS to Baba, many times I was just lost dealing with all this salvage crap and he spent a huge amount of time helping me overcome my blondeness! :)

Azrhiaz said...

I think once the system has been in place for a couple months, the mania and frenzy of testing out the new "toys" will die down and prices will drop. There's not a lot of salvage/recipes in test right now so demand is high. WW will be across 10 servers so give it some time. Once it goes to live there will be more supply and I won't be able to sell common salvage for 1/2 a million anymore! lol Besides, on live, you can't recopy yourself over to get more money. There won't be many people dropping 90 million on bug wings then, I'll wager.

I have varying feelings on it. I like the building of things so maybe I'll be the one you'll be asking to make things. I also kinda feel like, what's the big rush of getting your 50 all decked out in uber IOs when there's STILL nothing to do with them? So whatever.

Great post Baba. Glad you had a great trip and sorry States rubbed ya the wrong way. You missed a fun raid too. However, we need to reschedule the returning raid against them soon.

Unknown said...

I'm still at a loss with the inventions. My husband had an invite to beta so I made a toon on his account to take a look around. I'm glad I had Chaud with me to show me what it was all about. But I would have to agree with you Az. I would like more stuff to do at 50, some new content and revamp some of the taskforces (Positron's comes to mind). But still I always look forward to the new issues. I'll get the hang of it all in time.

Baba Kanoosh said...

If anyone gets lost on the system give me a holler...I will be glad to offer what I have learnt. :-)

In the end it is an economy based system based on the masses...SO thanks for a system that "will take months to balance out or you can just say "meh" and not play it." Man I pay money for this. As of late you HAD to play it...slavage storage and lack of any drops from AVs were driving me to get into Wentworths or storage bins...Supposedly that was fixed we will see. Like Dr Grey said, I was getting so pissed at the fact most of the testers had issues and the Devs kept forcing this downour throats, and the game got frustrating...Lack of sotrage for salvage interrupted game flow, inadequate recipe listing made for multiple runs to storage or me scrounging or note paper...just ruined the flow. In the numerous TFs I did we all would be staning around while folks had to run and dump off salvage. Dump... plain dumb, the obviously just want more time sinks. I think States is worried WoW is gonna sink his baby. We told him City of X will live as long as it stays away from WoW models...that is why we play it. He then told how we we wrong and his vision was great. OK I am ranting again.

We need to get a STF going...man it is fun and tough...a nice change for 45s and up. Plus the missions are quite new and refreshing. Well except for the straight CoV repsec rip off in the Thorn Tree mish.

I never did see carnie boots Chaud...you got hosed.

Haiving GW pop in your TF was a hoot, as with other Devs...notably States never did show up. Oh well, Makin Debt wants me to mix up another Chocolatini so I am off...I will try to log on tonight.