Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Positron Speaks!

NCsoft NorCal Studios is pleased to announce the pricing and details for the coming Optional Additional Character Slot feature. As we previously announced, we heard the request for a system to allow more characters on a single server and this is our answer. City of Heroes is a unique game that offers many playstyle options; options that are growing in a large way due to Powerset Proliferation and the addition of the Villain Epic Archetypes in the next free expansion, Issue 12: Midnight Hour. To accommodate playing more characters on your favorite server, we will be including the following features in Issue 12:

All current subscribers will receive 2 free character slots, each of which can be used on the specific server of their choice. This is to help you make new characters to take advantage of the new features of Issue 12, even if you already have maxed out your “home” server’s character slots.


1 free character slot will be granted retroactively on a yearly basis through the current Veteran Reward system. Every 12 months that a subscription is maintained will unlock an additional free character slot that the user can apply to the server of their choice. Thus, existing players will be eligible for up to 4 additional character slots at the launch of Issue 12. This will continue into the future for Veteran Rewards given out every 12 months, so you get another slot for 5 years, another one for 6 years, etc.


Additional Optional Character Slots will be available on a purchasable basis. These are one-time fees, not an addition to your monthly subscription rate. The additional slots can be had at the following price points:

• 1 Optional Character Slot for a one-time fee of $5.99
• 2 Optional Character Slots for a one-time fee of $9.99
• 5 Optional Character Slots for a one-time fee of $19.99


Players can have up to 36 slots per server, with an update to the character selection screen that lets you re-organize your character list by Drag and Drop, as well as easily flip between up to three pages of characters available on that server. All customers benefit from these great new User Interface features included with the revisions for Optional Character Slots.

The above features are planned to be made available at the launch of Issue 12: Midnight Hour, which is currently in closed beta testing. Be sure to check out this feature, along with the rest

12 comments:

Garl said...

Sweet! This is going to kick ass. More alts that Az can yell at me to log in....

Ebon Mauler said...

WOOT! up to 36 slots per server! At my Vet lvl I will have 5 more slots. Mua ha ha ha.

Colder said...

Don't forget to log in your 36 alts from time to time or they're gonna get kicked out of the DB! :P

Ebon Mauler said...

LMAO! Good one Colder. I myself think there should be a limit to alts in the SG. I will gladly give up a couple of spots for new comers to join.

btw. Has anyone ever developed a recruiting strategy? I know it sounds like taking it too seriously but becoming #16 SG on triumph should make it easier. Bottom line is we need more regular players. I'm working on an old friend who has returned to the game but his old SG has given him back his rank (probably because they can't stand to lose any more members) and now he feels obligated to stick with them. Any ideas on how I can lure him to the DB side :)

Colder said...

Join now and Coldie will give you a free lap dance!

Garl said...

Dude, bear in mind your toon has no face. So if a lap dance from a guy with no face gets this person to join I am not real sure we actually want them in the SG.

Colder said...

Hmmm...good point.

Maybe I should stop broadcasting that in Atlas Park...

Azrhiaz said...

I'd love to get more regular players. I've tried many times to do this. We get a few players but it seems those random people just seem to get bored with the alt they drop in.

I think if we start filling up again, we can drop the non-played toons out (like Ja :cough:) to make room.

Any suggestions? I'd love to see more names lit up when I log in. :)

Ebon Mauler said...

I've been waiting for you to make an example of Ja Az :) He really is just dead weight.

Are there no coalition SGs that are not as successful as ours that would want to join us? It couldn't hurt to talk to the leaders and see what they have to say. Mentioning to them things like "It makes more sense to have everyone in the same group after all" and "With a larger group of active players the next base plot size is that much closer" and don't forget to throw in your connection with the pvpec. This is not about dismantling our great relationship with our coalies. I love em to. Thats why I would rather gain them as members instead of somebody's alt that may get bored with them. Garl and myself started the Dark Justice Legion. It just didn't make sense beating that dead horse not to join the DB. Garl and I both realized that we team with DBers all the time. Why wouldn't we join and help make a stronger group of fun loving players.

Azrhiaz said...

Well the only coalition I think in that situation is Alpha Team. There's still a few left over there. But I don't really team with anyone other than Thrustor enough to warrant them to dissolve the whole group, I'd wager.

Many of the other smaller SGs like Vixens and Team America are headed up by people who wanted to create them and are more than likely unwilling to dissolve them. Chica likes her base, Dirka is very independent, and Earl's is/was formed for RL friends and has been around a long while.

It would make sense to PDC to merge with us, but again, that SG has been around since close to Day 1 and I know Captain Thundar would never close it down to join us. We are lucky enough to have Deep and Di with us on alts however. :)

Baba Kanoosh said...

I offered people to try us out, but then they teamed with me and died. Sorry but I tried. Then they called me a n00b and said I suXXorz @ being a he@l0rz. I don't know what they meant and when I asked them all they said was they were <3 when I dc'd. I guess recruiting out at Bloody Bay at 3 am was not a good idea. Wa, wa, waaaaaah.

You know I have been bashing Positron (i.e. the Devs) lately for all the garbage moves (like the "balanced" salvage/recipe drops, the TF nerf, the jacked up WW/BM economy, etc) really other than content items like new mishes, Ouro, I haven't been too hip to the changes, additions. But the vet rewards with slots is the first REALLY nice vet reward and well done. Smart move too from a "Re-up, re-new" game account concept. So I am happy to give up the props for this announcement, goes well with an easy new addition--unlocking powers for other ATs. I hope PvP doesn't fall apart like all the doom sayers are predicting. Would like to see a clean new issue drop without a major suXXor complaint.

Ebon Mauler said...

So do I have this right? Everyone will get 2 more slots BAM just like that and then for every year your account has been active you get another one?

Chances are we didn't want those kinds of people in the SG anyways Baba :)

I'm going to try to talk to some of the coalies I team with about this. Even if it's just to get them thinking about it. We could use a little more activity. I'll also try to pay attention to recruiting a little more. Ebon gets lots of invites to team and the odd one has people on it with no SG. The trick is finding people who aren't whack jobs (Garl is all our group can handle XD).